Linda and Retired Army Lieutenant Colonel Donald Edmond Campbell are celebrating their 31st Wedding Anniversary. They are the proud parents of two young adults: Marie and Zachary.
Linda attended Catholic School in the first through twelfth grades and has been a resident of Methuen since grammar school. She kept her hometown of Methuen as her official home of record for tax purposes throughout her entire military service both abroad and in the United States.
Donald and Linda met in Stuttgart Germany while serving in the Army, came back home to Methuen to be married, and returned to Germany for several more years of military service there. In addition to spending much time on military exercises on the Western side of the Iron Curtain, Linda traveled extensively throughout Western Europe, the British Isles, and in parts of both Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union.
After being selected for appointment as a Regular Officer by the United States Army, Linda served in Germany for six years followed by two years of service as a paratrooper and an Intelligence Officer with the 525th Military Intelligence Brigade (Airborne), VIIIth Airborne Corps at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. After eight years of active duty service, Linda left the Army to start a family and taught at both the college undergraduate and high school levels before her husband was deployed to Desert Storm.
Linda comes from a family that shares a strong commitment to hard work, personal responsibility, and public service. Her father, an excellent athlete at Lawrence High School, served briefly in the U.S. Navy following graduation. Once retired from AT&T he took his “game” to coaching; primarily girls’ basketball and softball in the Greater Lawrence area. Linda attributes her continued love of athletics to her Mother’s encouragement and her Father’s coaching. One of many highlights of this relationship was having her Dad coach her and the Methuen Saint Theresa’s Softball team to the Northeast Catholic Youth Organization Championship. Linda’s Mother was a constant volunteer at school and a strong supporter of all her children’s athletic and other endeavors. Once Linda’s siblings were off to school, her Mom became a strong supporter and committed employee of Catholic Charities.
2007-present Massachusetts House of Representatives – Currently the Acting Chair of the Committee on Veterans and Federal Affairs. Has also served on Public Safety; Environment, Telecommunications and Energy; and Revenue.
Highlights During Tenure:
2000 – 2005 City of Methuen, City Councilor
- Committee Chair for Business and Condominium Trash Collection rendering a decision that saved the city hundreds of thousands in the long term costs
- Committee Chair Charter Committee which explored salary levels and term limits for the elected city officials. Representative Campbell remains a strong supporter of having two four-year mayoral terms
- Led a coalition of leaders that established the Methuen YMCA
- Cosponsored legislation passed to limit and control growth
- Obtained infrastructure improvements/paving for West Methuen, e.g., sidewalks at the Marsh School
- Led many City initiatives to purchase / obtain open space, most notably on Tyler Street, at Forest Lake and along the Merrimack River
- Led the community charge to reconfigure the rotary and provide a dedicated exit onto Interstate 93 South – funding for this project was recently appropriated by the Commonwealth and the Federal Government
- Cosponsored legislation to control neighborhood noise and scooter use
- Played key role in preventing the construction of a large power plant on the Methuen and Dracut line